Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026

Barger highlights “Pathway Home” in Lancaster

LA County Supervisor Kathryn Barger

Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger (R-Palmdale, Lancaster, Santa Clarita, San Marino, Pasadena, La Cañada-Flintridge, portions of the San Gabriel Valley) last week highlighted the successful implementation of a coordinated “Pathway Home” operation in Lancaster that moved individuals experiencing homelessness out of an encampment and into interim housing, while restoring public spaces for the surrounding community.

The operation began Wednesday morning, Feb. 11, near Avenue G and 20th Street West. It resulted in approximately 30 households being brought indoors and approximately 25 recreational vehicles and trailers from surrounding streets. It also cleared tons of trash from the encampment area and is expected to conclude today.

“Our County’s new Homeless Services and Housing Department (LACHSHD) continued its critical work without interruption, helping people move out of encampments and into stable environments that uphold their dignity,” said Barger. “This operation reflected our commitment to pairing compassionate outreach with real housing solutions. We remain focused on getting people experiencing homelessness connected to services and on a pathway toward permanent housing.”

The Pathway Home operation effort partnered the LACHSHD with Barger’s Fifth District Homeless Outreach Services Team, the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, Caltrans, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works, and the City of Lancaster.

Individuals dwelling in the encampment who accepted help were temporarily housed in two County-leased motels. Team members from the Los Angeles County Homeless Services and Housing Department will coordinate supportive services and assist them in transitioning to permanent housing as soon as possible.

New Antelope Valley-based permanent housing developments are also coming online later this year, including Project Homekey sites operated in partnership with Hope the Mission. 

Individuals helped by this Pathway Home operation will also have the opportunity to transition into those long-term housing placements.

Calabasas grows with Craftsman’s Corner annexation

Calabasas Mayor James R. Bozajian

Calabasas Mayor James R. Bozajian informed constituents in his weekly letter to the community on Friday that the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors gave preliminary approval for Calabasas to annex a one-quarter square mile section of unincorporated territory known colloquially as “Craftsman’s Corner.” 

Bozajian wrote that the annexation is one of the most significant developments in recent Calabasas history. 

Craftsman’s Corner is situated along the northern border of Calabasas, adjacent to where Parkway Calabasas intersects the 101 Freeway. 

There are a few more steps in the annexation process, including a potential plebiscite among registered voters in Craftsman’s Corner. Bozajian anticipates the annexation could be completed by the end of this year.

Bass expands pilot program to expedite Palisades rebuilding

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass yesterday announced the expansion of the L.A. Department of Building and Safety’s (LADBS) first Self-Certification Pilot Program to include licensed Civil Engineers, which will offer more qualified professionals for residents to choose from for rebuilding projects in Pacific Palisades. 

Under the Self-Certification Pilot Program, California-licensed architects – and now Civil Engineers – may assume responsibility for verifying code compliance without a full LADBS plan check. 

While LADBS will not review the plans, all required approvals from other City departments will remain in effect. Compliance checks have been built into the pilot program to ensure professional integrity.

“I am committed to doing everything possible to get Palisadians home quickly and safely,” said Bass. “Today’s expansion of the Self-Certification Pilot program I launched last summer cuts more red tape and serves as another tool to support Palisades residents as they navigate the rebuilding process – a position they never expected to be in.”

Friedman Tours Port of Los Angeles

U.S. Rep. Laura Friedman

U.S. Rep. Laura Friedman (D-Burbank, Glendale, West Hollywood, Hollywood) announced yesterday that she toured the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro, California, with port representatives and leadership. 

Friedman is a member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, which has jurisdiction over all modes of transportation, including the maritime transportation that feeds into America’s ports, as well as the highways, bridges, and railroads that allow for the transportation of goods from ports to consumers.

On the tour, Friedman discussed key issues including the impact of tariffs, supply chain resilience, international trade, and workforce development.

“What I’ve seen on this tour reaffirms my belief that every time Trump threatens a trade war or a new set of tariffs, local jobs suffer and prices rise.” said Friedman. “That’s why I’m proud to be helping lead the charge to end Trump’s tariffs once and for all, so that we can finally cut costs for hardworking Americans.”

The Port of Los Angeles is the busiest container port in the United States. Along with the Port of Long Beach, it handles roughly one-third of US imports and is central to US-Asia trade and global competitiveness. Activity at the Port of Los Angeles supports hundreds of thousands of regional jobs and millions of national jobs, particularly in trucking, rail, warehousing, retail, and manufacturing.

Friedman is helping lead the bipartisan Tariff Review Act of 2025, a bill that will help end President Trump’s “unnecessary” tariffs and lower prices for Americans. She has also rallied against Trump’s earlier threats of an unrealistic 100% tariff on foreign films and instead championed a national film tax credit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Barger highlights “Pathway Home” in Lancaster

LA County Supervisor Kathryn Barger

Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger (R-Palmdale, Lancaster, Santa Clarita, San Marino, Pasadena, La Cañada-Flintridge, portions of the San Gabriel Valley) last week highlighted the successful implementation of a coordinated “Pathway Home” operation in Lancaster that moved individuals experiencing homelessness out of an encampment and into interim housing, while restoring public spaces for the surrounding community.

The operation began Wednesday morning, Feb. 11, near Avenue G and 20th Street West. It resulted in approximately 30 households being brought indoors and approximately 25 recreational vehicles and trailers from surrounding streets. It also cleared tons of trash from the encampment area and is expected to conclude today.

“Our County’s new Homeless Services and Housing Department (LACHSHD) continued its critical work without interruption, helping people move out of encampments and into stable environments that uphold their dignity,” said Barger. “This operation reflected our commitment to pairing compassionate outreach with real housing solutions. We remain focused on getting people experiencing homelessness connected to services and on a pathway toward permanent housing.”

The Pathway Home operation effort partnered the LACHSHD with Barger’s Fifth District Homeless Outreach Services Team, the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, Caltrans, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works, and the City of Lancaster.

Individuals dwelling in the encampment who accepted help were temporarily housed in two County-leased motels. Team members from the Los Angeles County Homeless Services and Housing Department will coordinate supportive services and assist them in transitioning to permanent housing as soon as possible.

New Antelope Valley-based permanent housing developments are also coming online later this year, including Project Homekey sites operated in partnership with Hope the Mission. 

Individuals helped by this Pathway Home operation will also have the opportunity to transition into those long-term housing placements.

Calabasas grows with Craftsman’s Corner annexation

Calabasas Mayor James R. Bozajian

Calabasas Mayor James R. Bozajian informed constituents in his weekly letter to the community on Friday that the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors gave preliminary approval for Calabasas to annex a one-quarter square mile section of unincorporated territory known colloquially as “Craftsman’s Corner.” 

Bozajian wrote that the annexation is one of the most significant developments in recent Calabasas history. 

Craftsman’s Corner is situated along the northern border of Calabasas, adjacent to where Parkway Calabasas intersects the 101 Freeway. 

There are a few more steps in the annexation process, including a potential plebiscite among registered voters in Craftsman’s Corner. Bozajian anticipates the annexation could be completed by the end of this year.

Bass expands pilot program to expedite Palisades rebuilding

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass yesterday announced the expansion of the L.A. Department of Building and Safety’s (LADBS) first Self-Certification Pilot Program to include licensed Civil Engineers, which will offer more qualified professionals for residents to choose from for rebuilding projects in Pacific Palisades. 

Under the Self-Certification Pilot Program, California-licensed architects – and now Civil Engineers – may assume responsibility for verifying code compliance without a full LADBS plan check. 

While LADBS will not review the plans, all required approvals from other City departments will remain in effect. Compliance checks have been built into the pilot program to ensure professional integrity.

“I am committed to doing everything possible to get Palisadians home quickly and safely,” said Bass. “Today’s expansion of the Self-Certification Pilot program I launched last summer cuts more red tape and serves as another tool to support Palisades residents as they navigate the rebuilding process – a position they never expected to be in.”

Friedman Tours Port of Los Angeles

U.S. Rep. Laura Friedman

U.S. Rep. Laura Friedman (D-Burbank, Glendale, West Hollywood, Hollywood) announced yesterday that she toured the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro, California, with port representatives and leadership. 

Friedman is a member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, which has jurisdiction over all modes of transportation, including the maritime transportation that feeds into America’s ports, as well as the highways, bridges, and railroads that allow for the transportation of goods from ports to consumers.

On the tour, Friedman discussed key issues including the impact of tariffs, supply chain resilience, international trade, and workforce development.

“What I’ve seen on this tour reaffirms my belief that every time Trump threatens a trade war or a new set of tariffs, local jobs suffer and prices rise.” said Friedman. “That’s why I’m proud to be helping lead the charge to end Trump’s tariffs once and for all, so that we can finally cut costs for hardworking Americans.”

The Port of Los Angeles is the busiest container port in the United States. Along with the Port of Long Beach, it handles roughly one-third of US imports and is central to US-Asia trade and global competitiveness. Activity at the Port of Los Angeles supports hundreds of thousands of regional jobs and millions of national jobs, particularly in trucking, rail, warehousing, retail, and manufacturing.

Friedman is helping lead the bipartisan Tariff Review Act of 2025, a bill that will help end President Trump’s “unnecessary” tariffs and lower prices for Americans. She has also rallied against Trump’s earlier threats of an unrealistic 100% tariff on foreign films and instead championed a national film tax credit.